Monday, December 17, 2007

One of my '70's Soft Rock favorites has died

Dan Fogelberg succumbed to prostate cancer yesterday morning. He was 56.

Don't get the wrong idea. It's not like I've been following his career all these years. No. Actually, I just happened to see the notice on the entertainment page of The State newspaper website...on my way to read Dilbert, Arlo and Janice, and my most favorite strip of all, Zits.

Though I haven't thought of him in a long time, I felt sadness.

Fogelberg's music was biggest in the late 70's and early 80's, my late teens and early 20's...the period of the most exciting flux and greatest potential. His music was fantastic because of it's simplicity. Acoustic soft rock in the great tradition of James Taylor and Jackson Browne.

For me, he'll remain a "legacy to the leader of the band."

No comments: