Saturday, July 29, 2006

Are You Bored? Here's Your Sign

I ran across this quote several weeks ago:
Boredom is a sign of satisfied ignorance, blunted apprehension, crass sympathies, dull understanding, feeble powers of attention, and irreclaimable weakness of character.
James Bridie

My kids learned very early on in their lives that if they wanted to see me get really angry, all they had to do was tell me, "I am bored." Now, I know I'm guilty of uttering this phrase more than once in my life but I have grown over time to believe that this little three word statement encapsulates the entirety of our vast human capacity for selfishness. To say, "I'm bored" is the same as saying, "I am the center of the universe and all of creation fails to entertain me!"

Boredom is a product of attitude, not circumstance. Even in a silent, colorless, windowless room, we have the oft forgotten blessing of IMAGINATION - a wondrous gift from God. The most incredible organic multimedia supercomputer ever conceived is between our two ears. Its potential has not yet begun to be tapped.

A stand up comedian, Bill Engvall, has an entire schtick built around the line, "Here's your sign!" The sign he's talking about reads, "I'M STUPID!"

Are you bored? Here's your sign!

No comments: