Friday, August 01, 2008

Elegy for the 'Unclaimed'

PopLewisFuneral

No mourners, but ‘a proper burial’

It's been a while since I've checked the count but I know I'm not far from having participated in leading 400 funerals since coming to my present position of ministry. These folks died of all sorts of things...cancer, heart attacks, strokes, blood clots, vehicle accidents, suicide, old age, etc.

Whether they were young or old or somewhere in between, whether they died suddenly or slowly, whether they died alone or with others standing by, whether they were well loved or barely tolerated, they all had funeral services with at least a few in attendance.

Not so for those in this article from The State newspaper.

I've often joked with my wife that when I die, she should have my body put in a lawn size "Hefty" bag and toss me in a ditch somewhere. I really don't care at all about what happens to my earthly remains. If they 'claim' my body, ok. Whatever is finally decided about what is to become of my shell, it is a great comfort to know there will be people who care...not for that shell, but for the memory of a life well lived.

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: